Ontario Premier Doug on March 4. (Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press via AP)
Ontario’s premier reiterated his call for Canada to strike a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., cutting out Mexico, hours before tariffs on global imports were set to be unveiled by U.S. President Donald Trump.
“I think we need to sit down and let’s get back to a USCA deal instead of USMCA deal, because Mexico is bringing in cheap parts from China, slapping on a made-in-Mexico sticker, and costing American and Canadian jobs,” Doug Ford told CNBC on April 2. “Clear the slate and let’s move forward.”
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke with Trump by phone last week and the two leaders agreed to hold comprehensive trade negotiations after Canada’s election concludes April 28. Carney said his preference is for Mexico to be involved in those discussions.
The U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement was negotiated during Trump’s first term and took effect in 2020. It’s set to be reviewed in 2026, although Canadian officials have called for starting earlier in lieu of negotiating piecemeal on tariffs.
President Trump’s tariffs will put millions of American jobs at risk and raise costs for families across the U.S.
I’ll be making the case all day directly to Americans: drop the tariffs and let’s work together to be the richest and safest two countries on the planet. pic.twitter.com/ADGv8vwHRZ
— Doug Ford (@fordnation) April 2, 2025
Carney and Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum held a “productive” phone call April 1 in which they discussed building upon the strong trading and investment relationship between the two countries, according to a readout from the prime minister’s office.
Ford floated the idea of an exclusive U.S.-Canada trade deal shortly after Trump was elected in November. As a provincial leader, he does not have authority to negotiate federal trade agreements.